Overhead Cranes are an integral part of general industry operations. CICB knows the importance and complexities of all types of overhead cranes and offers a premier inspection service to you, the customer.
Overhead Crane Inspections by CICB
CICB’s Overhead Crane Inspection criteria include the following:
- Inspections comply with applicable regulations, safety codes and standards for that type of crane.
- Performed in accordance with the crane manufacturer’s specifications.
- Review of overhead crane’s history file, to include records of past load tests, inspections, maintenance, and repairs.
- Verify that all warning decals/labels are legible.
- Confirm size, type, condition, and construction of wire rope/chain that is installed on crane.
- Inspect for cracked, deformed or corroded members of the crane structure.
- Inspect for loose nuts, bolts or rivets.
- Inspect for cracked or worn sheaves and hoist drums.
- Inspect for worn, cracked or distorted parts such as pins, bearings, shafts, gears, rollers and locking devices.
- Inspect for inaccuracies and required annual certification of operational aids.
- Inspect for excessive wear of brake and clutch system parts, linings, pawls and ratchets.
- Check for lack of performance and compliance of with safety requirements of power plants
- Inspection of load hooks shall include visual inspection for distortion, wear or damage.
- Check for malfunctioning travel braking and locking devices.
- Hydraulic and pneumatic hose fittings and tubing hose or at fittings and couplings for leakage.
- Verify a function test checking for proper operation of the following:
- All controls, mechanisms, operating systems and brakes
- All safety devices and limit switches
- All operator aids
- Rated load test, if desired
Shall not include any disassembly or removing any cover or guard. The customer is to provide mechanic support.
Upon completion of the inspection a written report of all noted visible deficiencies and recommendations pertaining to the safe use of a overhead crane will be issued.
Inspection Items or Services Not Performed by CICB
- Operating the crane
- Nondestructive testing (NDT) of any component
- Maintenance Determining load weights
- Rigging loads to include test load weights
- Supplying of test weights or rigging