New Lift Director Requirements in NYC: What you Need to Know!
The New York Department of Buildings (DOB), has passed a rule that requires a qualified and competent Lift Director be present at construction sites when a crane or derrick is performing certain tasks. A new form (CD12) (http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/buildings/pdf/cd12.pdf ) will need to be completed, signed and dated to designate the Lift Director. This form must be kept on site. Additionally, if there is an alternate Lift Director for a period longer than two consecutive weeks, the DOB must be notified.
A Lift Director must be present when:
- The crane or derrick is picking a load
- The crane is traveling at the site, including being moved onto or off cribbing or up or down a ramp
- The crane is being placed into a parked condition or otherwise being taken out of service
- The crane's boom/jib is being laid down or jackknifed
- The crane's boom/jib is being raised from a laid down or jackknifed position
- Other special protective measures for wind are being installed or removed
- During assembly or disassembly of a crane unless an appointed assembly/disassembly director (A/D Director) is supervising the operation
A site safety manager, site safety coordinator, registered construction superintendent, concrete safety manger, or construction site fire safety manager cannot provide a dual role.
A qualified person is defined by OSHA as someone who, "by possession of a recognized degree, certificate, or professional standing, or who by extensive knowledge, training and experience, has successfully demonstrated his ability to solve or resolve problems relating to the subject matter, the work, or the project." An OSHA "competent person" is defined as "one who is capable of identifying existing and predictable hazards in the surroundings or working conditions which are unsanitary, hazardous, or dangerous to employees, and who has authorization to take prompt corrective measures to eliminate them."
Call CICB at 800-327-1386 to find out more about NCCCO Lift Director Certification Programs scheduled in New York, Florida, and Texas. On-Site programs available at your facilities.